Thursday, May 8, 2008

Ideas/Work/Encouragement Needed

No one ever said this was going to be easy. I never even thought it would be. But even so, we've had some interesting obstacles that have come our way.

*Not everyone in our circle is excited or even accepting of our decision. While we still believe God has called us to adopt, it's hard to erase the opinions of those close to you once their opinions have been heard.

*When I first started making bracelets, Tim took one to school, and another
teacher had just started making and selling jewelry too.

*When I began making plans for a June yard sale, we received a flyer on our
mailbox that some charity organization would have a truck in our neighborhood on
a given day collecting everyone's unwanted items...like the stuff we might have
had in our yard sale.

*Our church is constantly fundraising for a building project. How do you ask
church members (of a small church) to give to both?

*Tim (being a teacher) can't even set out a box of candy bars or something for
sale. He can wear the bracelet, and if someone asks about it, fine. I don't work
outside the home, so I come in contact with very few people, just church.

Before I announced the Party Contest, I had 4 people who said they would be willing to host one. While I don't have any dates yet, I still have those same 4 who are still willing. (Thank you, my Fantastic Four!) If anyone else out there is planning to participate, I would LOVE to hear from you. It doesn't matter if you have 5 guests or 50. Just your efforts will be a huge help. I confess, I'm needing a little boost of encouragement.

I can't think of anything else to sell, especially when I haven't had much luck selling. I can't afford to spend money on fundraisers that might not raise any funds. The only other way to get more money that I can think of is lots of work + lots of saving. I am certainly not opposed to working. I love the feel of working hard, doing a good job, and earning money for it. (Yes, all three make a really good feeling.) So, here is my request of you today. If you know of anyone who could use me to do their bookkeeping from home, please recommend me. I use QuickBooks. I have also had a little formal tax training and am currently studying independently to learn more. I even have my tax preparer's ID number and can prepare tax returns. Or, if you or someone you know would like to have laminate flooring installed, call us. Tim loves doing this, and as a team we are quite efficient...and cheap. We have one gentleman from church who has asked Tim to install some for him as his way of helping our adoption. Tim would love to be able to fill up his summer doing this. We have even replaced siding on a couple of houses and could do that, too. Well, maybe not a 2-story house, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Another thing that would just help morale is to hear from you on this blog. If you have ideas for us, thoughts for us, or can just type "Hi" and your name, let me know that you are out there and reading.

3 comments:

Bridgett said...

I don't know how good you are with computers and creating blog templates, but I have heard of a few people creating decorative templates for people based off of their families interest and such and charging $20-$25 to do so.

KT said...

Libby,
Sounds like you are having such a hard time. The Lord will provide.
I would like to purchase a bracelet.
I am having a yard sale next weekend, the 24th, come by and say hi! I am only up the road from you. Also, I am happy to help you have a sale, and I am really really good at yard sales. GNO are kinda out for me as my friends are being used up doing them for us. Now, I will keep it in my thoughts and remember you if something seems like it could work out.
Laminate flooring, let's chat about that. WE REALLY NEED new flooring in our kitchen. Not sure what that would cost, but would love to have an estimate to know if we could do it this summer or not.

Erica said...

Don't rule-out the ideas of grants. Of course, generally you have to be signed-up with an agency and your homestudy has to be approved, but there are a lot of grants and adoption loans out there. If God is calling you to adopt, He will provide. Adoption is like many other avenues in life, it is a huge leap of faith and there are a lot of uncertainties.

As for the negative remarks, it is very difficult for some people to comprehend the type of love that God has placed in your hearts. Don't give up and take your concerns to God because He can do a lot to soften hearts.