Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Introducing...

Okay, the title is a bit of a teaser.  I still can't post pictures, but I'm told I can post their names.  So, please welcome Milcho Thomas DeMoss and Vanessa Elizabeth DeMoss.  (Pictures to follow in a few weeks.)  Both of our bio boys have middle names that are from family.  Colton has "James" from my mom's grandfather, and Eli has "Robert" from Tim's mom's parents.  (Her dad was named Robert AND her mom's maiden name was Roberts!)  So in keeping with that family tradition, Milcho has gotten "Thomas" from a great-grandfather of Tim's, and Vanessa has gotten "Elizabeth" from my mom's mother.  (I know you feel better knowing all of that!)

We learned today that our Court Day yesterday apparently DID happen.  Milcho and Vanessa are officially our children.  A friend recently told me that on her court day (for a domestic adoption -- so, she was actually there), the judge told her that she was now more legal bound to her child than to her husband.  Imagine that!  Now, I'm really itching to go get them.  The court decree still has to be finalized (possibly next week), and then we should know for sure when we will travel.

We almost have their rooms ready.  The boys' room is basically done although I would still like to hang a few pictures.  Vanessa's room just needs the wall-to-wall curtain hung in front of the storage shelves, and I need to empty her closet.  Next we need to stock their closets.  I'm hoping we get updated clothing and shoe sizes very soon so we can go shopping.  I may have plenty of clothes for Milcho already unless Colton skipped a size from one fall to the next.  I've not yet finished getting rid of all of the yard sale stuff, so I've not yet moved everything out of the house and into the garage that I can.  (I just want a clean house!)  I will try to post pictures before we travel.  It's a little crowded, but I'm ultimately pleased with how it has turned out.

I know I've met a few bloggers who have already adopted from Bulgaria.  If you are still checking my blog, can you offer any advice?  I would be especially interested in any suggested recipes.  I may only have 3 or 4 weeks to acclimate their taste buds before they get slammed with Thanksgiving.  Poor kids!  Then again, what an opportunity to sample a lot of different foods!  I've already told my mom that I would try to fix a crockpot of some kind of soup they would like because I understand soup is either a very common dish or maybe they have it with almost every meal.

Finally, I noticed that my last post still included the I "Heart" Adoption promo by Show Hope.  Thanks to everyone who voted.  They didn't report the exact final tally, but the last totals I saw had us in 3rd place.  Not bad.  I never thought we knew enough people to make it to 1500, but I was glad to see that we hung right in there with everyone else.  It turns out they counted the hearts AND the likes (I think there was some confusion, so they just counted everything).  Even with that, we still didn't make it to 1500.  But since we were all being guinea pigs in this little promo, they graciously awarded us a bonus to our grants anyway.  As you can see by the thermometer on the right, we haven't quite reached our goal, so we certainly would never turn down a donation even at this point.  It has been amazing to watch God bring His plan to fulfillment.  Even if every dime doesn't come in before we go, we know that he is going to get it all covered.  We're just along for the ride.

2 comments:

Viviane said...

I would not worry too much about food acclimation, but the kids are probably used to a lot of breads and dairy (yogurt) and soups. They might crave fresh fruit, veggies and meat and likely have not been exposed to much processed food (though they will know of it and might think it's cool).

You can check out this website for some general info: http://adoptionnutrition.org/.

Friends gave me this wonderful cook book and I have used it to prepare meals for special occasions:

http://www.amazon.com/Bulgarian-Rhapsody-Best-Balkan-Cuisine/dp/0963918214/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349971563&sr=8-1&keywords=bulgarian+cookbook

Ginger Newingham said...

When my son (at adoption, age 5) came home, he absolutely refused to eat any of the foods he had previously eaten in the orphanage. We tried to give him sausages, hard boiled eggs, and tomatoes, but he would not eat them. I think he was so sick of all the foods he'd had in the orphanage, he was wanting something new.

Now, after being home for seven months, he will eat the foods he had in the orphanage. Even in his very, very limited expressive language, he will tell me when I serve him something that reminds him of a food he ate in the orphanage. Recently, I served a tomato-based soup and he was excited to tell me that it was similar to something he'd had in Bulgaria.

He did have quite a few digestive issues when he came home though (diarrhea) so we tried him on a gluten and dairy free diet for six months. After the six month, then we slowly reintroduced it. He seems to be digesting it better, but the gluten may have an effect on his sensory issues, so we've taken it back out of his diet again.

Because of the major dietary changes involved in changing cultures, we cut out the gluten and dairy in order to help lessen the impact of all the new foods being processed by his little body.

Hope this helps!

If you have any other questions, etc, feel free to contact me. My mom sent me to your blog (as having an insane six-year-old seems to have cut down on the time I have to read blogs!) but I've documented a lot of our experiences since coming home as well.

We'll be praying for your family!

http://momentsdefined.wordpress.com/