Saturday, August 11, 2012

Yard Sale 31 and the Family

There's really not much to report.  We had Yard Sale 31 today.  I wasn't sure if I could muster up the strength for this, but events of this week served to remind us how important these sales are to our adoption.  So, we still yard sale.  Right now we plan to do another in 2 weeks.  We'll evaluate the situation then to see if/when the next one will be.  We made our usual, expected, average amount; but we also had a good friend stop by with a large donation...and not his first. (A big thanks to CN and AN!)  Another positive update for the finances is that we have finally filled in the budget hole left by the first trip!!!  Praise God!!  Now everything we raise will go toward the next trip or toward setting up their rooms.

Still no update from the kids.  Yes, it's frustrating.  It's one thing to have to wait possibly 6 months to go back for them, but it's another to not even be able to hear anything new about them.  August is Bulgaria's month for shutting down all government agencies for vacation.  Our Bulgarian adoption agency has also just finished being on vacation.  So I guess we won't be hearing anything soon.  I'm even more anxious to travel than I was in my last post.

If you are following the process since our first trip, we have had new ink fingerprints done and sent to the FBI.  They sent back our FBI clearance letters in record time.  Now we have to send it back to them to be apostilled.  This is the first time we've had to send anything to DC for an apostille.  Previously we just took everything to our own Secretary of State in Nashville.  Rules have changed again.  We also filed our I-800 with USCIS.  This resulted in our receiving the I-797 for each child.  This is the immigration approval for the kids.  Finally, Tim and I have each had our medical letters updated.  These letters and the I-797 forms will still need to go to Nashville for the apostille.

We are still waiting to find out our court date.  Once we know that, I don't know if we will be able to book our next trip, but we will have an idea of the time frame, so we can start pricing things a little more accurately.

In an attempt to stay busy in the meantime, we are trying to refinance the house.  We have to have an appraiser come out, and he'll take pictures of the house -- inside!  Uh-oh.  I'm not ready for that.  I'm in the middle of completely reorganizing and rearranging the entire house!  Stuff is everywhere.  I would just start moving it all to the garage, but the yard sale is still there.  I suppose I should look at it as awesome motivation, but I can't help but feel the stress, too.

Speaking of pictures, I don't post many here (just because I don't get around to it), but we started school this  week.  Colton is 10 and starting 5th grade.  Eli is 7 and going into 2nd grade.  Seems like just yesterday I was completely stressed about starting kindergarten with Colton.  I can't believe it's time for 5th grade already.  Next year, middle school!!!



Awww!   A moment of brotherly love!


I'm reading another book that I think is really cool.  It's called Cleaning House:  A Mom's 12-month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement.  We have already started giving the boys greater responsibility around the house.  It is so easy to do things for them because we love them, but that won't help them learn to be independent when they grow up.  The author of this book (a mom of 5) also found that as they asked more out of their kids, their kids not only delivered but developed a great deal of self-esteem.  Not through self-esteem programs but through experiencing a true sense of accomplishment.  I have even seen in my own kids (in the 12 days we've been on the program) that not only have they been able to maintain a clean room (WooHoo!), but they have also begun to do things for themselves instead of asking me to do for them -- and then they puff that little chest out and say, "Mom, look what I did."  The month of August is about beds, bedrooms, and clutter.  They have to keep their room clean and all of their stuff picked up from the entire house.  That may not sound earth shattering, but it is when it is being maintained that way daily.  We will spend a whole month focusing on this just so the habit is formed, then we will add another task.  I can't wait until we add kitchen duty.  The author's kids had to plan, shop for, cook, and clean up one meal per week.  I have great boys, but they can really complain when they come to the table.  I think after they realize the work that goes into a meal (and maybe hear a few complaints themselves), they will be more understanding toward the cook.  And I will have kitchen help!  Colton once showed an interest in cooking, and Eli likes to help out (especially with making cookies), so I'm really looking forward to some bonding time on this one.  Between this book and Large Family Logistics (which I've probably mentioned before), maybe we will get a system of survival worked out.  ; )

Prayer Requests:

  • 3 grants are still pending
  • Guidance on other fundraisers and participants for them
  • Complete paperwork
  • Update from the kids
  • Get the house ready and rooms furnished
  • M&V to have hearts ready for the transition ahead

No comments: